Sunday 16 August 2015

"Instruction versus Encouragement"

"Instruction does much but Encouragement is everything"-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe 

Our Kids need more of encouragement than they need instructions...the 21st century parent is more open minded than his/her equal in the earlier centuries, parents today have become not only parents to their children but also friends. I remember back in the days and I know a lot of you can relate with this when we dare not join in our parents conversations when they

 have visitors, we will receive knocks on our heads or various punishments; we were meant to speak only when spoken to, we receive different instructions on how to behave or how to sit, we look at their faces for approval when we are offered anything like food or money. However things are much different now though the principle is still the same, today parents encourage their kids to express themselves yet give them the much needed discipline or so to speak; what to receive or not receive from outsiders, how to approach older people in our society when to speak and when not to etc. I'm of the opinion that one needs to encourage our kids to speak their mind because it builds their confidence, however we should bear in mind that the manner of expression is important, there are times when I have interacted with some children whose parents I have a met once or twice and after a few minutes of conversation with these kids and i ask them what school they attend. Interestingly i was on a flight a few days back and a cute 5 year old girl and her Mum were on the same isle with me and as I got talking with her mum, suddenly the little girl asked me if I have kids to which I answered yes (at this point her mother tried to shush her but I said to her mum to let her speak) the little girl went on to ask me why i travelled without them. She told me how her mum never travels without her and how I should make sure I travel with my kids always. You could "smell" the confidence in her which could only have been encouraged by her parents and school. Therefore how do we strike the balance because for me I don't want to be a parent whose child lives on instructions neither do i want them to be afraid of expressing themselves because it will shape who and what they will become in future at the same time I want them to know how to address people in public and not sound rude to adults. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment